Skip to main content

Weekend Films

Quality vs Quantity

Last weekend I made the first of hopefully a series of micro/short films I will produce every weekend. This idea came to me when I watched the following video on youtube.

the video talks about creating less content of higher quality vs more content of lower quality. It's important to know what skill phase your in in order to know if quality or quantity should be your focus. Darious explains that as a beginner it is most important to focus on quantity. Since you've just started out you're not going to be able to create quality because you don't have the skills. Currently I'm in between the beginner and intermediate stages. I have acquired the skills to create quality content but it still takes me a lot of time. What I'm trying to do through these weekend films is create a habit of using creativity. I have learned so much through these micro films. For starters, producing has become much less stressful sense I have become more used to it.


Weekend Films

What I'm trying to do through these weekend films is create a habit of using creativity. I have learned so much through these micro films. For starters, producing has become much less stressful sense I have become more used to it. Also I have become more efficient in the editing process as well as the planning process. After Effects is like second-nature while music is becoming something I'm more and more comfortable doing. After having created the two films followed and captured I want to finish the series and begin a large project. The longest film I've made is Common Betrayal which was only 6min and 15sec. For my next film I want to create something that will be between 10 and 15min. Overall, the experience of creating films in a very brief period of time has taught me many things about the filmmaking process.

Followed



What I learned from followed was that I can write, plan, shoot, edit, and publish a final product within a day. It really proved to me that I can do a lot more than I give myself credit for. A few things that worked well was the cinematography, direction, location, and post production. This is the first film that I attempted to create music for and it really payed off. A few things I would do differently would be to confirm peoples availability in advance. This prevents me from making frantic phone calls the day of begging for help.

Captured

What I learned from captured is that seeing the final product is crucial for knowing what to do. The planning process for this film was borderline nonexistent. Only two lines in the whole film were scripted. This experience was able to teach me that if everyone knows the story the dialogue will come naturally. However, going in without any script can lead to plot holes or missing information. As far as directing goes being able to know when you've done enough takes became even more crucial when working with less time. The crucial aspect I learned on the making of this film was to plan ahead so everything is order when it comes time to shoot.

Mon - presentation critical responses

Tues - created composition in after effects

Weds - learned fluid simulations

Thurs - practiced fluid simulation

Fri - rendered fluid simulation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Investigation - Writing (Structure)

Why use Story Structure? The structure you use as a foundation for your script is key in creating a narrative that flows and excites. Most beginning writers make the mistake of ignoring story structure completely. However, if you ignore story structure your film will likely suffer from seeming aimless or boring. Story structure is a great tool for pacing your film at a rate that keeps your audience interested. Structure is also a way of making sure your audience doesn't get confused. Story structure does this by laying out events in a familiar fashion. For this investigation I will be learning how to utilize story structure, two types of story structure, and when to deviate from the provided structure. Structure - Three Act Structure The three act structure is the most common structure for telling film narrative. The only downside to using this structure is it doesn't tie everything together like the next two. An example of a film that uses this structure is Mad M...

Blender Highlights 2022