Skip to main content

Investigation 10/12

 Idea Journal

Over the summer I started righting ideas down in this notebook so I wouldn't lose any. It's slowly been growing more and more. A few of the ideas I plan to include in the short film I'm currently righting for class. These are ideas I get simply from the moment and I write them down, good or bad. The goal is to capture enough snippets of stuff until I've gathered a bunch that sort of match up. Than I can turn the ideas into scenes, and the scenes into a film. Previously I'd really struggled with writer's block and I've found that this really helps. The easiest way to deal with writer's block I've found is to ask a question you don't know the answer to. This is especially hard in todays society when we have the answers to all our questions at the click of a button. What I've been learning to do is when I get that curiosity question: What was the name of that song? I than search for the answer internally instead of externally. I come up with a name for it on my own and this gets the creative juices flowing: What genre is the song? What name works best? The point isn't to be right, the point is to be engaged in the creative process of coming up with an inventive answer. Sometimes one thing leads to the next and I've got a scene, other times not, either way it's good to exercise those creative muscles. Here are a few pages of my ideas:

Top: Idea for sci-fi feature film. Middle to Bottom: Idea for a fight scene


Continuation of previous scene

This is a close up of a reaper from my sci-fi feature length script.

Earlier concept art of reapers.

Top: Idea for a short film. Middle: Cinematography idea for sci-fi film. Bottom: Idea for a voice over

Mon - Edited

Tues - Edited

Wed - Edited

Thurs - nothing

Fri - nothing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inglourious Basterds Review

Inglourious Basterds is a spaghetti western war film that is continually shocking with its subversions. A spaghetti western is a sub-genre of western films that caught on thanks to the success of director Sergio Leone and his dollars trilogy. Quentin Tarantino uses the conventions of a spaghetti western in order to subvert the war genre. The conventions that Tarantino focuses on are revenge, extreme violence, and bizarre hero names. Tarantino uses these conventions of a spaghetti western in order to consistently surprise the audience. One of the ways that he does this is by introducing characters with carefully thought out back stories, and then killing those characters quite quickly. Another example of subverting the audience is when he makes you expect action because it is a spaghetti western, but instead the film is very dialogue centered. He also subverts expectations by changing the way that history plays out. This subverts the idea that the audience always knows how a historical ...

Investigation - Writing (Structure)

Why use Story Structure? The structure you use as a foundation for your script is key in creating a narrative that flows and excites. Most beginning writers make the mistake of ignoring story structure completely. However, if you ignore story structure your film will likely suffer from seeming aimless or boring. Story structure is a great tool for pacing your film at a rate that keeps your audience interested. Structure is also a way of making sure your audience doesn't get confused. Story structure does this by laying out events in a familiar fashion. For this investigation I will be learning how to utilize story structure, two types of story structure, and when to deviate from the provided structure. Structure - Three Act Structure The three act structure is the most common structure for telling film narrative. The only downside to using this structure is it doesn't tie everything together like the next two. An example of a film that uses this structure is Mad M...